The Lib Dems are trying to ensure that good quality school meals are provided at Cambridgeshire schools once the council's own school meals service closes later this year.
Cllr Lucy Nethsingha will be proposing a motion stressing the importance of quality school meals to children's education.
The motion states:-
This Council notes:
- the decision taken by the Commercial and Investment Committee to close the traded service which provides school meals to children across Cambridgeshire.
- that the current system of provision ensures that children in schools across Cambridgeshire have a guarantee that a school meal of good quality is available to any school child across the County for a similar price.
- that given its remit, the Commercial and Investment Committee is interested in the commercial aspects of the school meals business.
- that school meals are particularly important for those children in the lowest income families, as they receive free meals at school.
This Council believes:
- that good quality school meals are important in supporting Cambridgeshire’s children to make the best educational progress.
- that the provision of good quality school meals is an important part of promoting good healthy eating habits, an issue which is being given increasing importance by Public Health England, who are expressing growing concern about obesity in young people.
- that the provision of good quality school meals at a fair price is an important part of ensuring equality of health outcomes across Cambridgeshire.
This Council therefore asks that the decision to close the service providing school meals is reviewed by a task and finish group made up of members of the Children and Young People and Health Committees, as well as members of the Commercial and Investment Committee so that these issues can be taken into account before a decision to close the service is taken.